Thursday, April 30, 2009

a sobering reminder

financial woes as well as personal drama have been stressing me out this week. and, i'll admit my the monkey on my back has been haunting me. i have thought of going taking a cab to a bar and drinking myself into oblivion. of course, i would have some difficulties with the execution of these thoughts. many of the of the bartenders at the local bars know me. i have partied with many of them before and since my sobriety. some i consider to be my friends. and, as much as they i am sure could use the tips with the slow business we are all experiencing, they simply would refuse to serve me. in reality, this is a blessing of course. however, the knowledge is a bit discouraging to my fantasy.
last night, though, i was struck with a real dose of reality. i have only a handful of friends from my drinking days. they are not people who drank "with me". as in, people who couldn't or didn't even desire to keep up with me. of this group of friends, one is my friend kevin who is like a baby brother to me. he also tended to play the role of the "sensible" one who would try to both prevent and clean up my messes at least when he was aware of them. there is a fabulous story about him trying to help me out after a blackout involving him, a zebra stripe painted van, and a drag queen. but, that's not important now. kevin, chris, and i were outside with a friend of theirs who i had just been introduced to. we were the only ones outside at the time. somehow the topic came up of me being a recovering alcoholic between kevin and their friend whose name honestly escapes me. i was in a conversation with chris when i overheard kevin tell this friend that its ok despite me having not had a drink in almost 6 years that i drank so much back in the day that i'm probably still drunk. wow. talk about a shot to the gut. i still don't know that kev knows that i heard it. i certainly pretended i didn't.
but, it certainly puts things in perspective to how my nonalcoholic friends perceived me. and, when the thoughts of drinking came back today, i thought back to kev saying that and the hurt overwhelmed my desire.
in case anyone doubts after what i've said, kevin is a good friend. as a person, i appreciate people who are that honest and these are the kind of people i prefer to surround myself with as sometimes i can't see myself clearly.

6 comments:

Brittany said...

Praying for you...

Unknown said...

thanks thats so sweet

Jaclynn_kyuss said...

I am a bartender. Trust me.. we are not hurting in this recession! When people get depressed they drink. At first my restaurant was hurting but now I am making more then I did last year. Don't feel bad for the bartenders. We are just fine :) Congrats on 6 years though.

Jaclynn_kyuss said...

Oh and BTW if your wondering I found you on SITS.

Jaclynn

Unknown said...

thanks for visiting and following. i love my sits sitsas. i was a bartender myself years ago and i remember what it was like when 9/11 happened. i am a server at a alcohol free restaurant, and our business has yet to pick up. in part, i think the swine flu is hurting our business. however, we usually pick up the week before easter, and that never really happened.
i am friends with servers and bartenders and a lot of the restaurants around our town. most of them are still in an insane slump. its not that i feel sorry for them as much as i know how much i am feeling the pinch and know what they're going thru. i love my bartender friends, and how much they respect me and my sobriety which is something i'm not sure i could have done as well as they do back when i drank. sadly, even know, bartending may be my favorite job.
and, its not quit 6 years; and i know enough about sobriety and how tenuous it can be and know better than to count my eggs before they hatch. i hope to hit 6 years in less than 2 months.
btw, i cannot say how much i love your hair color.

love-up-you said...

Die Art-Deco-und Oldtimer eignen sich auch für Mondstein thomas sabo günstig Verlobungsringe. Accent Steine können in den Ringen thomas sabo eingearbeitet werden. Aber dies ist nicht immer getan. Diamanten und Perlen sind gemeinsame sabo uhren Entscheidungen und Paare auch wählen ähnlich ungewöhnliche Steine in die Mitte Mondstein begleiten. Dasangebote thomas sabo uhren Juwel Qualität Mondsteine sind recht teuer wegen der seltenen Natur. Ein größerer Stein mit einer reichen noch transparenter Farbe thomas sabo uhren billig fordert einen hohen Preis, da sie von außergewöhnlich hoher Qualität sind.