Saturday, March 21, 2009
additionally, i hadn't watched leno in years. i forgot that he is funny. maybe i'll check him out again, but sadly probably not.
i need some input from my friends and even people i don't already know out there in webspace. i am getting close to my 200th post(a little more than 20 away or about a week at my rate of posting) so, here's what i need:
- how can i improve my blog in general?
- do i need to focus more on certain topics and separate this into multiple blogs? i started to setup the bargainista blog but never did anything with it. should i get back to that and then somehow separate into a personal blog and a diy blog on food/crafts/around the house blog?
- what formatting can i do to my page to make this more reader friendly? do i need a new layout? probably, i think. should i split up my blog roll into categories? even are my colors on my blog easily readable? do you like the font? i really want to improve even the minutia.
- how can i improve my readership?
- what would you like to see me post about more?
- how do i get more followers?
- what have been your favorite posts so far?
- how can i get more comments as i really need/want feedback?
- really, any advice is appreciated. i want to hear from people about this. so, what's worked or not worked for you?
i got on to twitter january 1st of this year since a friend was on twitter. but, i really didn't get into til recently. i like that i have it linked so it updates my status on facebook which i've found is not only convenient but since having a blog lets my non blogging friends be aware of my blog posts and check them out. originally, i was just copying and pasting links onto twitter. please don't laugh at my being behind the times technologically. thankfully, i just this week found twitterfeed.com which allows me to have it set so new blog posts automatically are listed as tweets on my twitter account. love that. but, i still don't have many twitter friends. i really don't know how to find people easily on twitter.
i do like microblogging when i don't have enough for a real post or just want to say a few words. twitter really has gone mainstream though. not only is it all over the media, but even my mom is on twitter.
so, do you twitter? if so, follow me. just click the link on the right sidebar. and, how do you use twitter to help your blog or otherwise to help you?
Friday, March 20, 2009
breakfast: peanut butter and jelly
lunch: kashi's mayan harvest bake frozen meal
snack: ramen noodles cooked with some frozen broccoli then added a spoonful of crunchy peanut butter(you want the peanuts for some crunch), several squirts of sriracha, soy sauce, and asian chili sauce (usually for a meal i added julienned extra firm tofu, carrots, and red bell peppers.) this was inspired veggie chic's post since i haven't made my version in quite a while
dinner:(we haven't eaten yet, but my boyfriend has already informed me of our dinner plans.) since he is having bison burgers, i am having veggie burgers with yet to be determined side.
and for those of y'all worried about protein, i actually have protein in all those meals and even my snack.
but really there are tons of meat alternatives for protein including but not limited to:
tofu, seitan, beans, eggs, veggie meat products like veggie dogs, quinoa, nuts, cottage cheese, dairy products, tempeh, leafy green vegetables such as spinach, amaranth, seaweed, and seeds.
plus, i still eat lots of stuff i used to eat like mac and cheese.
free thomas and friends train at toys r us 3/21-3/22 with this coupon printout
free subscription to milk magazine
free box glucerna cereal with this coupon printout or by calling 1-877-879-4857 its automated
free sample dove hair care
free t-shirt at olympia sports stores thru 3/22 with this coupon printout for store locations
Thursday, March 19, 2009
here are 2 super easy vegetarian recipes:
roasted red pepper hummus
1/2 jar roasted red peppers or approxiamately 2 roasted red peppers
1 16 oz can of chick peas drained
salt and pepper to taste
2 cloves garlic crushed or 1 1/2 tbsp minced
1 freshly squeezed lemon
1/8 cup olive oil
1/3 cup tahini
1 tsp cumin
this recipe can be made with or without tahini(really i promise especially since it has the red peppers you will still enjoy it even without the tahini). now, if you aren't familiar with tahini, it is made from seasame seeds and can usually be found with the middle eastern food. even walmart carries tahini paste.
all you do is mix all the ingredients in a food processor then serve as a dip with either pita bread which is best toasted or veggies.
you can make plain hummus by eliminating the roasted red peppers.
walmart chili (so named cause everything can be purchased at walmart with their generic brands)
1 16 oz can lt red kidney beans drained and rinsed
1 16 oz can dark red kidney beans drained and rinsed
1 16 oz can chili beans drained and rinsed
1 16 oz can southern ranch beans
1 16 oz can of pinto beans drained and rinsed
1 16 oz can of black beans drained and rinsed
1 small can of tomato sauce
1 can of diced green chilis
1 16 oz can of diced tomatoes
1 packet of mild chili seasoning
1 packet of hot chili seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
drain and rinse all the beans except the southern ranch beans which you will use the liquid they come in. add all of these to a crockpot. keep the can that the southern ranch beans come in as you will use water to rinse out the remaining seasoning in the can and add that water to the crockpot. add all other cans but repeat the water rinse with the can of tomato sauce. add the chili seasoning packets. stir thoroughly. simmer on low for several hours til the chili has thickened to your liking. i like mine super thick so i generally simmer mine overnight or all day at work. surprisingly, i actually won a chili cook off both in the spiciest and best vegetarian chili with this recipe with just a few dashes of the pampered chef southwestern spice added in. you can also add in veggie crumbles, sliced mushrooms, peppers, or peanuts if you like, and i sometimes do.
also check out these previous posts with vegetarian soup recipes:
red lentil soup
broccoli and brussel sprout soup
check out meatout.org for more info on meatout day and events in your area and even send a meatout e-card to friends and family
here some great vegan and vegetarian blogs i've come across:
11th heaven's homemaking blog
awesome vegetarian sites:
vegetarian times which is an awesome magazine
vegetarian resource group
veg news magazine
and finally, if you have some great meatless recipes you want to share. please post them in the comments as i would love to try them out.
free prilosec sample
free advanced screening of haunting in connecticut on 3/25 in select cities
free gift at north face stores excluding outlet stores with printout of this page on march 20th-22nd
free subscription to american photo
free sample of gain
free huggies gentle care wipes with this coupon its $5 off and they are currently less than that stores such as walmart
free biocare hair and skin sample
free sample of eco centsible laundry detergent email them see here
free little people dvd at toys r us 3/21/09 from 12-2
free natural bag with 8 samples at sephora 3/21/09 with this coupon printout between 12-6pm
free franklin planner 3/21/09 in stores for those recently laid off with employer info, supervisor name, and date laid off
free glytone starter kit
free deck of magic the gathering cards
free subscription to mine magazine, a compilation of other mags that you choose for the 1st 31k
free source of life shaker cup and sample
free subscription to woman's day magazine
free xtreme t-shirt
2 free issues of town and country magazine
free italian ice at rita's on march 20th to celebrate the beginning of spring
free breakfast at ikea with printout 3/20-22 not valid at charlotte, hicksville, pittsburgh, and houston
free natural lamb condom
free lindt truffles and recipe dvd
free stuff from viva diva you get points by referring friends and commenting
free subscription to american baby
free astroglide sample
free vix tote
free bread recipe book from fleischman's yeast
free trojan condom
free goodnites boxers samples
free tomato seeds from campbell's use code 1 p8039 and code 2 u6
free id personal lubricant
free beyond 7 condom
free matrix biolage sample
free sample carress bodywash
free aveda samples in store only with print out coupon
free sample of emergen-c bubbles
free sample of kotex overnights
free 2 pack training socks good thru 3/22 only in store at lucy's with this printout and has a store locator
free sample of dove heat defense and intense defense
free roots of nature hair samples
free sample kellogg's fiber drink mix
free personalized letter for your child from the easter bunny
free sample 8x10 photo from cannon-you upload your own photo
free sample of cascade
free grill spatula from weber
free sample aveda black mavda shampoo
i love that shane got a pic of me taking photos.
Tuesday, March 17, 2009
Monday, March 16, 2009
- white sleeveless top-purchased at goodwill 3/14/09 for $2.25
- camel handbag and shoes
- denim pencil skirt
- checkbook style wallet-purchased at burlington coat factory 3/15/09 for $6.99
- black strappy high heeled sandals
- gladiator sandals(i know how did i not get a pair last year.)
- brown handbag
- straw handbag
- bubble gum style necklaces-yellow, navy, white (yellow purchased at plato's closet for $2.99)
- purple and orange shoes
- bright yellow ballet flats
- zippered shoes my faves right now are these from forever 21 which just went down in price to $5.99 but my size just sold out guess i need to search for them on ebay
- cardigans especially white and black
- yellow handbag
- snakeskin handbag
- leopard print shoes
- neon shoes and accessories
- stone necklaces
- fabric shoes
- gold handbag
- new statement ring
- spring scarves
- zebra/giraffe print heels
- dotted items-skirt, handbag, headband i'm not sure
hit me up if you find great deals on any of these. and, i am on the lookout for these.
- anything with gelatin in it. gelatin comes from boiled bones, tendons, and skin of animals usually hoofed animals such as cows, pigs, and horses . this list includes many commercially made yogurts, kellogg's frosted mini wheats, marshmallows but not fluff, jello, ice cream, and gummy candies. you really have to read packages on these items to see if gelatin is listed. agar-agar is made from seaweed and an alternative to gelatin.
- worcestershire sauce and food and beverages made with worcestershire sauce such as bloody marys. worcestershire sauce contains anchovies. vegetarian worcestershire sauce is available in stores. some commercial bloody mary mixes do not contain worcestershire sauce. i actually hand made an awesome bloody mary when i bartended without it.. you really have to ask the bartender or do what i did and asked to read the bottle.
- caesar dressing and hence caesar salads contain anchovies as well.
- red velvet cake, port wine cheese, maraschino cherries, the liquer campari, and many red foods especially meats, strawberry or raspberry flavored foods contain cochineal aka carminic acid or carmines natural red 4 which is made by grinding the scales of cochineal bugs.
- many frozen pie crusts contain lard
- utz's hand cooked potato chips which used to be faves of mine are cooked in lard.
- chewing gum often contains glycerine made from animals although wrigley's uses vegetable glycerine
- hostess snack cakes are made with beef suet
some links with lists of tricky foods and food additives
Sunday, March 15, 2009
have any items for sale. but, i do recommend checking out www.platoscloset.com to find a location near you. you can also sell items to them. they also have a card you get stamped for every $10 you spend. after 10 stamps, you save 20% on your next purchase.