Saturday, August 8, 2009

Instruction Manual for Kids?

I am plagued by talk radio thanks to someone else who lives with me. It's not my cup of tea, but I certainly can deal with it. Talk radio though does seem to have different commercials. Tonight, I heard one that absolutely caused me to take pause. It began ever wish your kids came with an instruction manual. I can't even begin to count the number of times I've heard it's not like kids come with an instruction manual especially in therapy. In rehab or therapy, case workers try to remind the participants that kids don't come with instruction manuals and most parents do the best with what they have to work with in general. There are of course exceptions as I heard tales like the one of a man who spent 3 years locked in a basement.
Well, the advertisement continued that he has one for you that will get your kids to be obedient and respectful. Hmmmmm. Not sure that this isn't one of the cases of too good to be true. Sadly as much as I was unable to stop listening to the ad, I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the actual product since someone was busy making jokes in the background while I was attempting to listen. I just caught the end saying it was something like How to Change Your Child's Attitude and a 1-800 number. What a product. Honestly, not sure an instruction manual is possible. No two kids are really alike nor would we want them to be entirely alike or else we might all be pretty boring adults.

No comments: