Saturday, August 1, 2009

Dessert for Breakfast

I have recently stumbled upon the most wonderful treat ever. At my work, we offer fruit topping for griddle items such as waffles, french toast, and pancakes. Since it is summertime, the big seasonal fruit topping is strawberries. As you may have guessed from my last post about the strawberry slurpee, I am a fan of all things strawberry. I, however, rarely indulge at work due to budgetary constraints. A coworker though mentioned a craving of hers that got me thinking and when I won a sales contest last week which entitled me to a free meal I decided to try my version of her secret pleasure. My coworker told me one of her pregnancy cravings was fruit topped waffles topped(that's right it is even more indulgent.) with scoops of vanilla ice cream. Now, I've tried fruit topped waffles before; but I find that waffles just don't seem to soak up the fruit syrup as well as pancakes. So, I got 2 pancakes topped with strawberries and our strawberry which is made by blending strawberries with sugar and a little water until you get a very smooth consistency and topped it with a couple of scoops of ice cream then sprinkled some powdered sugar on top. Now, this was like the biggest and best strawberry shortcake ever. Not something I would do often, but definitely a summer treat I would try again. And, for the record, it took me 3 sittings to finish this wonderful monstrosity. It's especially good to let the strawberry syrup sit under a heat lamp or broiler to let it soak into the pancakes. Plus, the warmth of the pancakes melts the ice cream a bit so the cream mixes well with the strawberries. Mmmmmmmm.

No comments: