Monday, February 29, 2016

Kale, Sweet Potato, Kidney Beans, and Quinoa

Meatless Monday



This is one of my favorite recipes currently due to its versatility.  I originally created this a filling for enchiladas and as a vehicle to introduce quinoa to my little one.  Since I've used it as a side, entree, or as a filling for burritos.  I am planning on serving it as a side at Thanksgiving this year since its ingredients scream autumn to me.

2-4 regular size sweet potatoes(less if you get some really large ones)
1 cup red quinoa
1 onion
1/2 bag of greens
2 cans of kidney beans
dash of cinnamon
 a dash and 1/2 tbs cumin
 1 tsp paprika
salt and pepper to taste
1 jalapeno pepper
1 tablespoon minced garlic
olive oil

1. Cut up your sweet potatoes into 1 inch cubes.

2. Toss in olive oil and a dash of cinnamon and cumin.

3. Place on a parchment paper lined pan and roast in a preheated 375 degree oven for 20-25 minutes.

4. Cook the quinoa according to the package directions.

5. Dice the onion and jalapeno pepper.

6. Saute the onion and jalapeno pepper with the olive oil, cumin, paprika, salt, pepper, and garlic.

7. Once the onions are translucent, add the greens and cook them until wilted.

8.  Drain and rinse the kidney beans.

9.  Add the kidney beans, sweet potato, and quinoa.

You can serve as is for an entree with some fruit.  Since my little one is lactose intolerant, I served this as is for her and melted some queso fresco onto a tortilla and used this as filling to make burritos for her father and I.  To make enchiladas, I crumbled queso fresco onto tortillas and filled them with the above mixture.  Then, I liberally topped them with salsa verde and more queso fresco.  I baked them at 375 degrees until the cheese melted about 8-10 minutes.  Once they were done cooking, I added chopped cilantro on top.



No comments: