I know it's not Meatless Monday. However, due to the holiday weekend, I thought I would post one of my favorite party or even every day dips. I struggle with whether I like guacamole or hummus more. Both are delicious and nutritional powerhouses. Don't worry, though as I am still planning on my recipe for Coleslaw with Crushed Pineapple on Monday as it will go perfectly with our sweet potato faux bbq sandwiches.
1/2 red onion or a sweet onion like a Vidalia in a pinch
3 roma tomatoes
1 tbs minced garlic
1/2 a bunch of cilantro
salt to taste
1. Cut your avocados in half. Remove the seed and peel.
2. Roughly mash the avocados with a fork being sure to leave occasional chunks of avocado. Sometimes, I like the chunks the best.
3. Dice your onion and tomatoes and onion adding them to the avocado.
4. Juice the lime and add it to your mix.
5. Using kitchen shears, roughly cut the cilantro and add it in as well.
6. Add the garlic and as much a salt as you prefer.
7. Stir everything up to mix thoroughly.
This recipe serves 2-4 depending on the appetite. You can always double as needed. I gave a recipe instructions for a small batch as this is more than enough for our family of 3. Guacamole browns easily, so I usually only make as much as we will eat in a sitting and usually prefer to make it as close as possible to serving.
We like to use this as a dip for tortilla chips or veggies as well as on sandwiches and homemade tacos.