Thursday, June 2, 2016

Free Donuts for National Donut Day


Tomorrow is National Donut Day. Unlike most food holidays, Donut Day actually has a story behind it of Salvation Army  female volunteers handing out doughnuts and warm beverages to World War II soldiers to provide them comfort.  I am more than happy to celebrate the warm goodness of a fresh donut once a year after spending several summers making donuts.  Okay, maybe I indulge a few times a year usually whenever they are free; and I see a hot and fresh sign lit up.

Look at LB enjoying her first half of a hot and fresh donut last Halloween.  Occasionally, she gets that expression of being in absolute heaven eating a food.  That day, I concurred.


Several places are giving away free donuts in honor of the holiday.  Here are a few:


Krispy Kreme: One free donut.  No purchase necessary.(We'll be looking for the hot and fresh sign on our way home.  Fingers crossed it's on.)

Dunkin Donuts: One free donut with the purchase of any beverage.

Duck Donuts: As long as you claim their offer on Facebook, you can get a free sugar donut.  No purchase necessary.

Sugar Shack: Varies by location, and most locations have had different ways to get a free donut all week.

Just in case you happen to be local to Fredericksburg, Virginia, I thought I would include:

Paul's Bakery: One free glazed ring donut.  No purchase necessary.

We may also celebrate by trying to perfect a homemade cronut recipe since I have been a convert ever since trying a croissant donut at a Wawa not in our area.  I haven't been able to find them at any Wawas since.  If I do finally get one that is up to my standard, I'll be sure to share.

No comments: